Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ethiopian is what's cooking! (AUGUST-22-2013)

...is what's cooking at the Ethiopian restaurant down the street, because lord knows I wouldn't be able to cook that Injera myself.


























I got really lucky last week! One of my very best friends was in Toronto doing a rotation at Mount Sinai, so dinner was a must. I get updates every few days from WagJag (kind of like Groupon, if you haven't checked it out, you should!), and it just so happened they had a 1 appetizer, 2 entrees and 2 dessert coupon for $18 at this Ethiopian restaurant at the Church/Dundas intersesction. I'd never tried Ethiopian before but figured the deal was pretty good, so I bought it. A few days later I was wondering "why in the world haven't I been eating Injera every day?!?!?!?!" It's traditional Ethiopian "bread" but its only ingredients are teff flour (gluten-free), water and a starter culture. If anyone out there knows how to make Injera, I will pay you... milions of dollars. I'm just saying. I liked this place so much I went back there today with my friend Joel (Cambodia shout-out!). I told Joel that Monique (that's the pretty lady up top) had said Injera looked a lot like tripe (cow stomach)... from this reference Joel told me that when he was living in South Korea he had been accidentally eating tripe (he's a vegetarian, btw) for months because he thought it was coral reef. Lunch and a good laugh, what a great day! (and, the cherry on top was that Joel brought me a bag of fresh vegetables that he'd picked from his garden... thank you for all the wonderful herbs Joel, you now know that I never buy them for myself!).

Last Saturday we had a 50th wedding anniversary to go to as well (my biological grandparents-in-law... is that right? Betty and Ged, more informally :). Mom always makes treats (everyone knows Mom is a stellar baker), but I threw my hat into the ring and said that I would bring gluten-free goodies for all the anti-wheaters at the party too. I emailed my usual gf baker, but she never got back to me, so I decided to enlist the help of my familial expert!



In case you haven't noticed, Rice Krispies now make gluten-free cereal, and marshmallows are already gluten-free (and vegan! See how easy it is to be a gluten-free vegan?), so durr, Rice Krispie Squares!!!! I also made some sandwich cookies, because I had to do something myself or I would feel like a total putz. And apparently it was suggested that I can't be trusted with delicious treats, because when I opened up the fridge the next morning I found the treats had been cleverly disguised as inedible... (thanks, Mom)



The party was an absolute blast, and I'm sure I burned off all those calories on the dance floor! I have recently discovered about myself that I could just dance all night if given the chance, which is exactly what Khalid and I did at this and the two parties prior to that (I'm sure there is some cheesy reference here to finding your life's 'dance partner,' but I'm not going to make it. All I'm saying is that I could happily do the running man for hours with my guy, even if we were the only people on the floor... which we often are. Should we read something into that? I feel I am digressing...).

I also need to share with you that for the first time I can remember I actually went to the Pickering Farmer's Market! And, because they are drawn to me, do you know what I found? Another gluten-free bakery!



And do you know what the very best part was? She is SO reasonably priced! A loaf of gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free bread cost me $4. If you are gluten-free, you know how crazy that is! She also does catering and makes a rocking pad thai sauce. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she is the best gluten-free baker I have found so far! The food was great and the price was right (home-made strawberry jam from my mother-in-law-to-be not included). Please please please go and check Marmalade's out, this is the only place you can find her so far (other than online)! (pick up some butter tarts for me too, would you?).

Are you ready for a random interjection? I just found out that through work I can get a discount at The Brick, so Khalid and I decided to go and shop for something to replace our couch. It's been forever since I've been to a furniture store, so you'll have to tell me, what is happening to all the furniture?! For example, is this a couch or a chair I am sitting in? It is labeled as a chair, but I do not remember chairs this big ever existing before. Whatever, I love it. I would have bought that chair if Khalid hadn't been there. But then you still have fancy couches like the one on the right. Or is it just a table for fancy cushions? It's hard to tell (who would even want to sit on this? The pillows look territorial).





















Lastly, I was going to share with you a sandwich I had at a great restaurant in Oshawa, but I'm actually going back on Saturday, so maybe I'll wait and share both meals with you at once (if I can convince myself to try something different when the sandwich was so delicious...).

All my thanks to Monique, Joel, Mom and Khalid for featuring in this blog post! My regards to Ethiopiques for making me want to go to Ethiopia despite the pirates, to Kellogg's for acknowledging that barley malt is clearly not a crucial ingredient, to Marmalade's for the best bread-and-jam-for-breakfast I've had in awhile and to The Brick for that stellar 20 minute power nap (even if you did send a sales associate over to reprimand me for drooling on the chezbedcouchchair).

I leave you with a pictures of these things that were wandering around Dundas Square today:


No comments:

Post a Comment