Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013, getting started!

So it's 2013! My New Year's resolution this year is to try a number of "greeny" diet programs and chart how they affect my psoriasis. At this point, I know that gluten, corn and sugar are big no-nos, and I'm hoping that by blogging this year I will be able to stay the course of healthy eating. My inspiration came from a recent trip to the St. Lawrence market where I found Cruda Cafe, a totally raw vegan (and gluten-free!) take-out restaurant. I had their Pizzeta, which they describe as follows: "tomato flax thin crust topped with our house creamy cheese, tomato, olives, avocado, sprouts, paired with a small salad." And you know what? It was delicious!


For dessert I had raw vegan cheesecake. Yes, you heard that correctly! They get the "cheesecake" texture by using raw cashews. How clever. Of course, next time I will suggest that they don't serve it to me on a corn husk... but we live and learn :) (even Khalid gave this cheesecake an 8/10 on the vegan cheesecake scale.)


Now, you know that it's really easy to find excuses to cheat, especially around the holidays, so New Year's Eve was a big test for me. Usually we have steak (yum) and lobster (bluh), so I made sure that I had lots of veggies around. I even splurged and bought myself some whole walnuts, avocados and colourful carrots (I'm sure they have a specific name, but I couldn't tell you what it is).


So here was my meal! Carrots, asparagus and sliced cucumber with raw cashews, hemp seeds, fresh walnuts and half an avocado. Always come prepared!


 (and here was my contender, staring me down)


And we can't forget dessert! I had some almonds, organic dried figs and pomegranate. And at the end of this meal I was totally content, I didn't even get into the cherry ice cream in the freezer (which probably would have happened if I hadn't planned dessert for myself).



You don't have to have psoriasis to enjoy these posts, maybe you just want to see how someone else is getting their recommended intake of veggies and fruit, or maybe you have a similar resolution! If you have any recipe ideas, please send them my way (I have green smoothies and homemade raw vegan cheesecake in the works, so stay tuned!).

Hello and Goodbye from January 1rst, 2013
Vicki


No comments:

Post a Comment